Sunday, August 12, 2012

Getting my Money’s Worth

German that I couldn't learn from a Dictionary:

Angucken- This means “to look at” or “to take a look.” Essential here! Used all the time.

Siebung- Sieving, panning. What our soil laboratory technician does everyday to figure out the soil grain size distribution. Ok, maybe not a particularly interesting word for normal people, but, as far as I can tell, not in Collins Dictionary, Leo, or Wikipedia! Shame shame!

In Pudding- taking a walk around the block. For example, after you’ve eaten a lot, you should go for a walk so that you have more room to eat dessert!

Es geht vorbei- “It will get better with time.” “It’s not so bad.” “It is what it is.” You can say this when something bad happens, when you are disappointed, etc. As expected, “Kommt vorbei!” means “come by!”

Ne? – “Do you understand?” “Do you agree?” Use at the end of every sentence when you are explaining something to the foreign Praktikantin.

Oder? “isn’t that so?” “Do you agree?” “I’m right, aren’t I? Undeniably so?” A more exact translation would be the Canadian “eh?” I don’t think we have an equivalent in English, and if we do it is not used as frequently. Maybe it’s closest to “y’know what I’m saying?” or Rocky’s “y’know?”

No comments:

Post a Comment