Friday, August 10, 2012

Better than Listening Through a Conch Shell

I had seen Billboards around Bremen advertising the “Vegesack Maritime Festival,” at which there would be a celebration of all things sea-faring and maritime music. I was intrigued as to what they meant by Maritime music.
The Maritime festival proper started in the afternoon. In the morning there were street performers throughout the pedestrian town center. I saw the Vegesack Seeman’s Chor (pictured here) singing sailing songs-the North German equivalent of a barbershop choir. They looked like they were having a lot of fun. Their signature song is “Wir fahr’n nach Vegesack” but since they were finally performing in Vegesack, they sang “wir sind in Vegesack.”
My heart was first moved by natural beauty on my bike ride and then by beautiful music in Vegesack.

I then raced to the church, to pick up the decorations and desserts I’d made (Amerikaner cookies and apple pastries) and raced over to my American friend's apartment for our 4th of August party.
We had planned to celebrate the 4th of July together but because of unfortunate circumstances our celebration was cancelled. My friend had the clever idea of moving the celebration to the next possible 4th.
We decorated Amerikaner cookies in red, white and blue and decorated the walls and table as well ("Amerikaner cookies" are what we in New York would call "Black and White cookies", only they have them here in all different colors. I don't know what Americans call black and white cookies that aren't black and white.)
We took a healthy walk across a pedestrian bridge over the Weser, overtop of a hydroelectric system and a canal/lock system for skinny coal barges. We also went to Staples, where I had a few nerd moments and felt very much in America. Back in the apartment, we made burgers and talked a little bit about Americanny things. I am glad to not let my nation's special day pass without a celebration.

No comments:

Post a Comment