Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Do you speak German?

Before I left for Germany, many people asked me, and rightfully so, "Do you speak German?" The more optimistic folks who had more confidence in me would ask "how is your German?" assuming that I already had some.
My honest reply, as to most things, is to admit my absurd overconfidence but do nothing about it. "I think I do, but I think that I will soon learn that I do not." or my other standard reply, "I've only had a year in college and a year in High School, and I have never learned environmental engineering German."

For CEM, the question I am asking myself is, "can you handle the French language?" and I know that I am being a bit overconfident in my 6 years of school French, but am not sure what I can do about it. I know the first few days I will have no idea what is going on, until my brain and ears catch onto the speed and the gait of local speech.
PRAYER REQUEST for comprehensibility and comprehension in CEM, for the language as well as comprehension of our complex theological topics.

No comments:

Post a Comment