Saturday, June 23, 2012

Amerika


More things to appreciate about America:
1. 1,   Here, I am registered to pay a church tax to the Protestants. There were about 10 choices of church types, “unbekannt” and none included, and Elsa says there is a way to select Frei Kirche and not pay any tax. I was not sly enough to get out of it. Ah, America and your clever separation of church and state!
2. 2,    I filled out the application, had my name on a Library card and then was led, card in hand by the librarian, to a cash machine, where she instructed me to scan my card and insert my money. It only costs 15 euro to join the library for the year (not including fines), but it is the principle of paying for a library, eradicated by our own Benjamin Franklin for a better system ages ago, that gets me. Besides, I am only here for 2.5 more months, not a year. I will just camp out in the library as often as possible and work on reading Artemis Fowl #’s 6 and 7, and hopefully borrow books from Elsa. 

No comments:

Post a Comment