Saturday, February 2, 2013

How to Support a CEMiste

Throughout this year, I have been encouraged by the support I've received from my friends, church and family: prayerfully, financially and encouragement through cards and emails. This support lets me know that I'm not "out of sight and out of mind."

My CEM roommate does not really have a church family, and her biological family is not willing to support her. Over the past 6 months, she has received checks in the mail from people she barely knows or wouldn't have expected to have the money to support her. It is touching to see the financial sacrifices that others are making so that she can stay here at CEM. We really have seen her prayers answered.

Other forms of support mean alot too! One of the women in our church is great at doing hair, and fixes my roommates hair for her, saving her loads of money. We are frequently invited over to eat (at-least) 3-course meals with members of the church, providing us with good company and good food. Our food budget is cut in half by the left-overs we receive from the camp and from events at the church. I was invited on a day trip to see a Car Show in Nimes by a Marseille Church member, an opportunity to travel that I otherwise wouldn't be willing to pay for.

I also want to encourage all you older-than me church-people to encourage and mentor the youth around you! I had a really great experience when I was working this past summer in Germany. The families at the Church in Bremen, seeing that I was alone in a new country, took me under their wing, so that I was mentored (and fed and watered) by many families and Saints older and wiser than I. If you don't already, hang out with someone younger than you to share your life's experiences and your faith with them.

P.S. If you're not already "Supporting a CEMiste", you are welcome to do so! Contact me to find out how. Some of our CEMistes need more support to be able to finish the year in Marseille. We/I also love getting mail!
P.P.S. To all my supporters and my church family: Thank you so much for your prayers and support!

No comments:

Post a Comment