Saturday, September 15, 2012

Thus Begins the Next Stage of My Life

Short Version:
Took plane from Newark to Brussels, bus from Brussels to Marseille, successfully found at bus station, heading to Retreat Center Sunday for 5 day retreat with the other CEM students

Long Version: I boarded my Eurolines bus for Marseille at around 9PM and I think I slept fairly solidly until about 6 AM, vaguely regaining consciousness at some of our bus stops.
In my waking hours, I mostly read “And the Band Played On,” which I had started to read on the plane and was quite the page turner. A recommended read for anyone who is not trying to relax and fall asleep in a plane thousands of feet over the ocean.
As the sun rose on our bus ride through France, I looked out the window and felt like it couldn’t be real that I was on a bus going to the city in France where I would spend a year; I didn't really know what "a year" or what being a CEM student actually meant. But as we drove further and the sun fully rose on the sunniest day I've seen in Europe all summer, and we went a little further and I saw some mountains, I began to feel welcomed and stopped worrying about what I didn't know.

Tomorrow, all the CEM students will meet at church and then head to the church retreat center in the Massif Central (mountain range) for five days.

No comments:

Post a Comment